Tuesday, April 24, 2012

Fun with Fax Spam!

*This came through, amongst many other things, on the fax machine at work.  I found it amusing enough to save and share here.  I'll be including my thoughts at the end.  This is re-copied exactly as received including all caps and poor grammar.   I have removed the supplied contact information from the sender so that no one can be daft enough to answer this message.*


GREETINGS:

MAY I USE THIS OPPORTUNITY TO INTRODUCE MYSELF TO YOU MY NAME IS CHARLES TAYLOR (JNR) I AM THE SON OF FORMER PRESIDENT OF LIBERIA.  A COUNTRY IN WEST AFRICA, MY FATHER WHO IS CURRENTLY BEING HELD AGAINST HIS WILL BY THE UNTIED NATIONS FOR ALLEGED OFFENCES OF WAR CRIMES.  HE IS CURRENTLY FACING COURT TRIAL IN THE HAGUE IN NETHERLANDS.MY FATHERIS A GOOD MAN WHO TRIED TO DO SO MUCH FOR OUR PEOPLE LIBERIANS.  I AM CONTACTING YOU WITH THE BELIEVE  THAT WE WILL DEVELOP A CORDIAL BUSINESS RELATIONSHIP WHICH WILL BE BENEFICIAL TO BOTH OF US.MY FATHER GAVE ME YOUR CONTACT WHEN I VISITED HIM ON THE 19TH OF NOVEMBER 2009.HE SAID THAT HE HAVE A LOT OF CONFIDENCE AND TRUST IN YOUR PERSONALITY.  MY FATHER KEEP THE SUM OF (ONE HUNDRED AND SEVENTY SEVE MILLION UNITED STATES DOLLAS) $177.MILLION USD. IN A BANKS SECURITY VAULT UNDER THE NAME OF HIS FRIEND A FOREIGNER FROM YOUR COUNTRY:  AS THE NEXT OF KIN TO THE DEPOSIT TO AVOID ANY TRACE .THIS FRIEND OF MY FATHER DIED ON 25TH JULY 2009 IN A MOTOR ACCIDENT.
MY FATHER DIRECTED ME TO USE THIS MONEY FOR INVESTMENT PURPOSES SPECIFICALLY IN YOUR COUNTRY.
I PROMISE TO GIVE YOU 30% OF THE TOTAL FUNDS FOR YOUR ASSISTANCE AND 10% OF THE PROFIT AFTER TAX FOR FIVE YEARS.

I AM CURRENTLY IN A REFUGEE CAMP HERE IN TANZANIA AND I HAVE MADE CONTACT WITH THE BANK MANAGER OF THE BANK WHERE MY FATHER DEPOSITED THE FUNDS.I HAVE ALSO INSPECTED THE FUNDS AND CONFIRM THAT IT IS STILL WITH THEM.I WILL GIVE YOU ALL THE DETAILS ON HOW WE WILL CLAIM THESE FUNDS UPON RECEIPT OF YOU RESPONSE.

I HAVE THE WHOLE DOCUMENTS FOR THE DEPOSIT .I THEREFORE SEEK YOUR ASSISTANCE IN TRANSFERING THIS FUNDS OUT OF TANZANIA.

BEST REGARDS.

CHARLES TAYLOR (JNR)

NOTE: PLEASE SEND ALL YOU'RE CONTACT INFORMATION THROUGH MY ABOVE FAX NUMBERS, AS SOON AS I RECEIVE YOUR CONTACT INFORMATIONS I WILL SEND ALL THE DETAILS ON HOW WE ARE GOING TO CONCLUDE THE TRANSACTION.



MY THOUGHTS:

--Are people really still falling for this type of thing?

--I must have a pretty crap memory because I don't remember ever meeting the President of Liberia, yet he says his father approves of my personality.

--I find the above somewhat troubling, as I don't think it is a good thing to have someone on trial at The Hague for War Crimes thinking I have a good personality...perhaps handy in that he might be slightly less likely to kill me, but otherwise not good.

--Was the fact that you want me to help a war criminal a selling point?

--I don't have any relatives that died in a motor accident, or on that specific date.  Think you've got the wrong long-lost relative.

--Refugee camps sure must be different in Tanzania! You have access to a fax machine and a telephone, apparently at all times! 

--If you are in a refugee camp in Tanzania, how did you contact the bank manager and inspect the funds?  Is the bank in the refugee camp?


Sorry, you won't be getting any of my "contact informations".  I already gave them to the solicitor from Nigeria -- he had better grammar and promised me more $$ via email.

No comments:

Post a Comment