Monday, April 16, 2012

Weather theory

I Think the Cold Weather Makes People Fat

Now, before anyone goes jumping down my throat about my idea being total crap, understand that I am not saying it is the only thing that makes people fat.  I think it is a contributing factor.  It's a theory people.  Get a grip.

I have done no research, and I have drawn this conclusion based solely on my own decision-making process when it came time to make dinner this evening.  Prepare to be dazzled by my epiphany!

It got really warm here today for New York State in mid-April.  We are talking  a record-breaking warm.  Like 90 degrees.  I don't have an air conditioner ready yet -- we just had frost and freeze warnings a few nights ago.  I haven't even packed away my sweaters yet to make room for the warm-weather clothes!

My house was a balmy 80 degrees inside when I got home from work this evening.  I opened every window and door in the place to let the fresh air and breeze move through.  Too bad I had to work and miss the beautiful weather, but I digress. When it came time to make dinner, I decided on salad.  There was no way I was turning on the stove and making this place any hotter. 

That, dear friends, is the moment I had my epiphany.

It's hot -- it's hot outside, you're hot, your house is hot.  All you want is cool things, refreshing things.  I can't speak for anyone else, but when it gets hot my appetite goes way down.  I crave salads and fruits.  I drink a lot more water, iced coffee, and other beverages. Maybe I am a freak -- that's always a possibility.  I want to go out and enjoy the nice weather, not sit in a stuffy hot house!

The winter is a completely different story.  It's freezing.  The weather is generally crappy.  Quite often you get to start the day by bundling up, going outside, and shoveling snow.  You do all of this so you can have the pleasure of going to work.

You get ready again and bundle up to go to work.  Depending on the weather, this could take much longer than anticipated if the roads are crappy.  Hopefully when you get to work the heat is working, but that isn't always guaranteed.  You make it through your work day, and bundle up again to go home.  If the weather is bad, you will get to freeze in the parking lot while cleaning off your car.  Fun times.

You make the drive home, which again depends on the road conditions, and finally arrive back at your nice snug home.  Depending on what the weather was like that day, you might get to go out and shovel again to clean off the accumulation and try to keep your sidewalk and driveway from becoming an icy death-trap.

You're finally done and able to just relax.  Ahhh.  Now you have to cook dinner.

Are you likely to pick a nice, cool, refreshing salad?  Not if you are anything like me.  You want something warm, maybe something comforting if you had a crap day at work on top of everything else.  You probably worked up an appetite as well, with all of the snow removal.  You are most definitely going to cook a meal that has a lot more calories than a freaking salad.

Dinner is over and you can relax.  More than likely you are not going the hell back outside again.  Whatever happens now can just be dealt with in the morning.  Much better to curl up with a nice cup of tea. You are exhausted after getting through the day, you made yourself a nice warm meal, and you are going to sit on your butt until you go to bed so you can get up and do it all over again in  the morning.

That, my friends, is my theory on how cold weather makes people fat.


No comments:

Post a Comment