Sunday, April 8, 2012

Bunnies

They sneak into your home.  They creep about and leave gifts.  They are silent, they are sneaky.  They are


DUST BUNNIES!!

(photo by: @istockphoto.com/TheCrimsonMonkey)


What, you thought it was going to be about the Easter Bunny just because today is Easter?

These little bunnies also bring gifts, but not in the form of delicious treats - nothing so pleasant as that!  These little critters bring the gifts of dust, and allergies, and woe.

For centuries mankind has battled this pernicious foe.  Like the cockroach, they breed in the hidden parts of your home only to spring out when you least expect them.  Alas, they too seem to be indestructible.

Oh, you may think you have won -- that through diligent dusting and mopping, sweeping and vacuuming you have successfully obliterated your opponent.  The opponents are tricky little things.  The moment you let our guard down, they will strike!

You know how it happens.  You finally come home after a long day, ready to relax and unwind in your nice, clean home.  You shut the door, and the motion creates a gentle breeze in the room.  You turn around, and then you see it: a dust bunny slowly moving across the floor, like a dirty tumbleweed emerging from some secret nook.

I have been engaged in an epic battle with these creatures since I bought my home almost two years ago. Today I believe I found the breeding ground of these hell-spawned devils.  I think they are coming from the forced hot air vents of my heating system.  The battle will now be on YOUR home turf, dust bunnies!

I have washed the vents.
I have vacuumed the vents.

And then I might have gone a teensy bit overboard.

I rubbed a Bounce dryer sheet on all of the vents.

Okay, so it sounds ridiculous even to me, but hear me out.  My theory is that dust bunnies must be closely related to the lint in the dryer.  They hide out in vents, and they are all fluffy and ephemeral, and they seem to grow out of nothing.  I'm hoping the Bounce will scare the dust bunnies into a retreat, or at least slow their roll.  It's in the experimental phase.  I don't know if it will help, but it can't hurt, and the house smells nice when the heat kicks on.  I'll let you know how it turns out.

So Happy Easter to all whom are celebrating!  I'm going to enjoy my victory in this skirmish with the dust bunny army by relaxing and eating some jelly beans that the much more awesome Easter Bunny brought me.


No comments:

Post a Comment