Sunday, May 13, 2012

Mother's Day

Happy Mother's Day to all of the moms out there!  I hope you were treated right on your special day.  In case you weren't, allow me to present a special treat to you: 

I wish I could take credit for finding this little gem myself, but I totally swiped it from a friend.

I had to work today, and I was fully braced for the onslaught of "Happy Mother's Day!" wishes that would be aimed my way.  We generally get wished happy-whatever-the applicable-holiday by patrons. 

 A coworker was irate about the prospect of it before we even opened.  Apparently some poor soul had wished her a Happy Mother's Day in passing, and she stopped to tell him exactly what she thought of his sentiment.  How did he know she wasn't mourning the loss of her mother, or had just found out she was infertile after years of trying to have kids, or had just lost a child?  I can see her point, and I am sure there are many women who, for their own reasons, would rather not be reminded that it is Mother's Day.

 Personally, it doesn't bother me.  I'm not a mom, but it doesn't offend me in any way.  I actually prefer it to a lot of the other things patrons say to us on a regular basis.  I'd much rather get wished a Happy Mother's Day than cursed out for telling someone they owe a fine, for example.

Imagine my surprise when not one single person said it today!  I did have a little girl say it to me on Friday.  She also gave me a necklace made out of beads.  It was cute.  I'm going to keep it, too.  I doubt either of my cats will be making me a necklace any time soon, and the two of them are the only kids I have.

No comments:

Post a Comment