Monday, January 16, 2017

This Might Be A Horrible Idea

Hey, Friends.

So, I've gotten a little feedback on our time here together recently...more like suggestions, really. They can actually work together pretty well, so I thought it would be fun to combine them here.  This could be a stroke of genius, or a truly horrible idea.

First, a new reader suggested that it might be a good idea if I did a Getting To Know You type post.  I was less than enthusiastic about it.  I mean, what do you want to know?  A lot of them are the same old questions that have already been done to death on Facebook, or they might be just too damn nosy and I have no intention of answering them online.  There are probably some I wouldn't feel comfortable answering in person either unless I felt really comfortable with you.  Or was drunk.

Around the same time this was suggested, I got a random message on Twitter asking if I wanted to receive a written interview about myself.  It wasn't the first time I've gotten it from various accounts. I assume most people have, as I highly doubt I am cool enough to be on the cutting edge.  My first thought was, "Why in the world would anyone want to interview me?" Maybe it's just me, but I assume when someone is being interviewed it is because they have done a heroic feat, or made some major discovery or innovation, or created art of some description -- something noteworthy has happened that deserves to have attention called to it.  I write a freaking blog in my spare time. Real talk, Friends: we are like the teeniest, tiniest little speck on the internet.  I mean, I think we're pretty awesome, but I'm sure all of the shit-tons of other people who have blogs think they are just as special.

Curiosity being what it is, I clicked on the link to check it out.  Turns out, it's a service.  For $5 they will conduct a written interview of 4-6 questions.  And then I guess you own the interview, or for a bit more money they will post it to their social media websites for you. I assume the allure is in the possibility of expanding your audience on social media. It seems to have gotten pretty good reviews, and has a fast turn around time. I'm not trying to down the service by any means.

Yeah, I didn't do it...well, at least not yet.  I still might.  It is only $5, and I am a little curious as to how the whole process works.  If nothing else it might make for an interesting and/or amusing story to share here.  I'm always thinking of you, Friends!

Here's my major hang up with the idea:

It's a written interview.  Presumably they are going to email me 4-6 questions.  I answer them and email them back.  I assume some sort of editing or revision process happens after that, and then it is done. I have a blog.  I ask myself questions and answer them all of the time.  That seems more like a FAQ then an interview.  I could do essentially the same thing by myself and save the $5.  Beyond that, some of the examples shown have very clear spelling and grammatical errors. I'm not saying that I'm perfect when I write here.  I'm sure there are grammatical errors that I miss, spelling mistakes, typos and the like. If I fuck it up on my blog then I can only blame myself.  If you are selling this as a service? I shouldn't notice the mistakes when I am just quickly scrolling through examples of your work.

The point of all of that was to say that maybe the idea of a Getting To Know You thing wouldn't be such a terrible idea.  It might be pretty boring for you to just read a list of things about me.  I do try not to bore you, although I'm never sure if I am entirely successful with it.

Which brings us to suggestion #2, Friends.  A good friend of mine, whom I'm sure has nothing but my best interests at heart, told me I should start a vlog.  Clearly she either did not see my attempts at making one short video (discover the many ways I failed at that here) or she has repressed her memory of said event.  She was really jazzed about the idea, and her enthusiasm was kind of contagious.

I kicked the idea around for a while.  Do I really want to try another video?  What the hell do I even have to say?  At least with the last one there was a purpose to fulfill.

But wait...what if I took the idea of the Getting To Know You thing, and combined it with the vlog idea?  At least then I wouldn't have to worry about what to say.  It would just be answering questions.

Oh yeah.  We're going there, Friends.

Consider this fair warning.  Stop scrolling now and make a hasty exit if you find the idea of sitting through another video unpleasant and/or possibly painful.  Maybe you are excited about seeing how badly this goes and what kind of an idiot I can make of myself this time.  Grab some popcorn and pull up a chair!  I'm sure it's bound to happen at some point.  Perhaps you just want to learn more about me, or find me amusing and want to see what I am going to say, or just want to be supportive.  Love you for that. 💗 Hell, maybe you're just bored and are looking to kill some time.  Whatever floats your boat.


Hours, people.  It took so many hours to make this.

Did you get to know me better, Friends?  Was it worth all of the time and effort I put into it?  I really hope so. I don't know that it was as deep and insightful as you might have been hoping, but it is what it is. I know I learned several things about myself while watching and editing the footage.

1) I mess with my hair. A LOT.

2) I make a lot of silly faces while thinking and reading.

3) I never realized I bit my lip quite that much.


I also know that you are probably waiting to see the parts where I really screwed up, the failures that did not make the final product.  (There's actually a ton of stuff that didn't make the final product.) For your viewing pleasure, allow me to share some of my mistakes.


Trying to get things set up.  This will not be the location chosen!

Technical difficulties

This one is actually kind of okay.  


Wondering how well this may or may not be going


Hair problems


This was taking too long, and I was getting a bit cranky


That moment when I thought I had accidentally deleted a bunch of stuff


That's all there is, Friends.  Quite frankly, I'm really tired of looking at myself.  Did you like this? Was it even worth the effort?  Let me know if I should bother attempting this again in the future.

No comments:

Post a Comment