Sunday, January 22, 2017

I Need Some Fresh Air

Hey, Friends.

How are you?  No, seriously -- how are you doing?  The last couple of days have been kind of tumultuous.  I really want to know that you all are doing okay. Emotions have been running high on all sides.  People are saying horrible things to each other online, like there isn't another human being you are directing the words to.  I've seen mass waves of "unfriending" on Facebook.  Just because I might not share the same views as you when it comes to politics doesn't mean that I don't care about you as my friend.

Seeing as I have the day off, I decided to unplug for a bit and get away from it all for a while.  (Not too far though, as it looks like it might pour at any second.)  To that end, I decided to go on a short hike, and found myself at the Home of Franklin D. Roosevelt.  They have some nice nature trails there, but I can't rule out my subconscious having directed me there as I had been thinking about his Four Freedoms earlier this morning.


Sculpture made from pieces of the Berlin Wall, taken earlier this summer.  It's under protective covers for the winter right now.

But this isn't meant to be a political post.  This is meant to be a break from it all. Let's just move along to enjoying nature, shall we?  Fantastic.



When it looks more like early Spring than late January


View of the lawn, looking toward the Hudson River


You can make anything look creepy if you try hard enough


View from the top of the waterfall


What waterfall?  This one.


Same waterfall from a little bit down the trail


Still doesn't look like Winter, but now it at least seems like Autumn.


Tidal marsh & Hudson River.  You can just barely see the Walkway Over the Hudson in the background.

That's how I spent my afternoon.  I highly recommend taking a moment for yourself and just getting away from it all for a bit.  Go outdoors.  Unplug.  Stop reading things that you know are just going to annoy you or piss you off.  Take a step back and remember that there are beautiful things all around you.  Feed your soul.



3 comments:

  1. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Your uncle and I agreed. We went for a walk out onto Pop's property. Me being without a way to ford the creek and with no waders, your uncle decided he could carry me across. Well, not so much as I ended up backside to a muddy ice cube that used my head and lower back as a drum, not to mention fill half my pants with water. Then, if not insulting enough, he was sure he could make it again and I being completely gullible believed him and actually allowed myself to be dunked into the cold creek again as his boot was sucked into the muck. Well, I guess you could say it gave us something else to limp home about other than the election, lol!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh my! Well, at least it was probably refreshing (looking for a silver lining)! :)

      Delete