Friday, June 16, 2017

The Finder of Small Things

Hey, Friends.

Have you ever put something away in a "safe place"?  It could be as simple as stashing away a gift for someone that you don't need right away, but you know it will be perfect in the future for their birthday or a holiday. Maybe it's a valuable piece of jewelry, an important paper, something with great sentimental value, or just something small that you don't want to get lost. I also tend tuck away things that I don't want Jazz-kitty to get her little paws on. For the most part this system works pretty well.

You may or may not remember my cat, Jazz-kitty.  Among her many talents she can list:


  • Being afraid of basically everything (strangers, loud noises, the outdoors)
  • Chasing bugs
  • Eating any plant she can reach
  • Music critic (She's not a Taylor Swift fan)
  • Attempting to eat things that were never meant to be ingested by any living creature such as rubber bands and twist-ties.
She has now added a new talent to her resume: The Finder of Small Things.

I first noticed her new talent a few months ago.  I was in the living room, and I could hear her running around in the kitchen, whacking something about and chasing it. I went out to investigate. What wonderful toy was bringing her such delight?  A teeny, tiny baby sock.

I honestly have no idea where she found this thing.  It was covered in dust, and probably used to be white or light blue once upon a time.  I don't have any kids.  I can't even think of any friends or relatives who have been here when they had children small enough to have fit in a sock this small.  I have no clue what hidden depths of my house she plumbed to find this sock.  It had to have been there since before I moved in almost 7 years ago. Makes me wonder what other treasures are around here in unknown hidey-holes. Maybe there is a treasure map or something. That would be awesome!  I could have my own adventure like the Goonies!

Probably not going to happen, so back to the story...


A couple weeks back I once again heard Jazz-kitty batting something around in the kitchen, but this time it sounded metallic. That had to be investigated immediately. It could be something that could hurt her. She also likes to steal my jewelry if I leave it out unattended, and I have lost several earrings this way. Jazz-kitty is keen on shiny things. What had she gotten her little paws on this time?  My iPod.

Now, I know for a fact that I had tucked this safely away when I first moved in. Jazz-kitty had not even been adopted at that time.  It was small, and valuable (at least to me), and I didn't want to lose it. Now, years later, it's being slammed around on my kitchen floor.

What did I even have on this thing?  I know I haven't used it since I moved.  I kind of forgot I even owned it, if I'm being totally honest.  It's one of the tiny ones, a Nano or Shuffle  -- I could lose this thing way too easily....which is why I tucked it away in the first place, come to think of it. I've gotten so used to just using my iPhone for everything that it never crossed my mind.

I really, really wanted to know what was on this thing.  It hadn't been updated in at least 7 years -- possibly longer.  This would be like sonic archaeology (is that a thing?  I'm making it a thing). Going back to the songs I loved in the past.  Dig up all the memories, try to figure out why I had loved them enough to purchase them in the first place -- musically spelunking through my mind.

I know what you're probably thinking:

1) This is way more interesting to you than it is to anyone else.

Fair point, and probably very true.  But admit it -- you're at least mildly curious as to what was on there.  There must be something horribly embarrassing or strange, right?  They are all songs I liked enough at one point to pay money to have.  I don't do that illegal downloading bullshit.  Everything on there I paid for.  You like the music, support the artist and pay for it.  End of story.

2) Just look at your iTunes account, dumbass.  It's all still there.

That would probably work for almost everyone, but technology and I have issues.

You see Friends, over the years I have had several iTunes accounts across many different devices. Services merge and email addresses change.  iTunes itself has changed the ways you can log in over time.  Did I use an apple id or an old email address?  Which dead and long gone computer did I create it on?  This all came to a head when I got my first iPhone and literally couldn't remember which one I had used on the phone, kept losing access to apps and music.  It was a royal pain in the ass and frustrating beyond belief.  Eventually I just sucked it up and contacted customer service to have them help me reset my shit.  I cut my losses and moved forward.

I have no idea what account I was using when this iPod was last updated.  I'm not even sure when it was last updated.  Had to be more than 7 years ago.  No way in hell am I connecting this thing to my laptop to charge and accidentally screwing up my current account or entering the nightmare of multiple accounts once again.  I've got to have the charger around here somewhere.  I'll just charge it using an adapter and the wall outlet.

I looked everywhere.  Every "safe place" I normally store small things in.  I dug through every old adapter/cord that I have ever accumulated.  Nada.  However, in that process I found my other even older iPod (also of the tiny variety), and I thought that thing was long gone, which is why I had a second iPod to begin with.

I'm a mess, Friends, I realize.  Fortunately, one of them would charge with my old iPhone 4s cord which I still had.  Apparently at least part of my brain remembered I had an iPod that would need it.  I had to buy a new cord to be able to charge the other one.  Stupid technology, always updating plugs and adapters.

So, once I got all of my necessary components assembled, I charged them up and got ready to see what was on them. There were a few duplicates, so either these two iPods had been on the same iTunes account at some point, or I really liked those songs and bought them every. damn. time.

I made a Spotify playlist of all the goodness I found on my iPods for you, Friends!  Aren't you excited?  I know you are....maybe just a little bit, buried somewhere deep down inside.  I don't think there was anything too embarrassing on there, but I'll let you be the judge of that.  I'll admit that a few made me wonder why in the hell I ever bought them.  Not like they are bad songs, but Kung Fu Fighting? Really? What the hell was I doing that I felt the need to buy that song?

I started the rather time consuming process of making a list of all the songs and artists on the playlist for you, Friends, but then I decided not to do it.  Nope.  I don't want to spoil your fun.  You can listen to them in the same order I found them on my iPods and draw your own conclusions. (I only listed the duplicated songs one time.)




Please note that there are 2 songs I could not add to my playlist, as they are apparently not available on Spotify at the moment:  Empire Sate of Mind by Jay Z, and I Love Rock 'n Roll by Joan Jett & The Black Hearts.  (I could only find a cover version of the second song, and just no.)

There are 98 songs on that list.  6 hours and 42 minutes of music for your listening pleasure, according to Spotify.  If you think the music a person listens to speaks volumes about who they are, then feel free to dive in and try to decipher me. Probably perfect for the super curious, the seriously bored, or those stuck on a long flight with nothing better to do.

Maybe you will decide I have awesome taste in music.

Maybe you'll think I'm a freak and there is something seriously wrong with me.

Best case scenario: you'll discover a new favorite, or have a moment jamming out with a song you forgot you loved.

Do what you will, Friends.  It's there for you.  If you do take the time to explore it, feel free to let me know what you think.


No comments:

Post a Comment