Monday, March 13, 2017

Cross That One Off

Hey there, Friends.

You know how people talk about their Bucket List -- all the cool things they want to do before they die?  I think most everyone has a lot of the same things on their list:

1) Find true love/soulmate/man of my dreams
2) Travel the World

You get the point.  What about visiting the World's Largest Kaleidoscope?  You know, assuming you knew that it existed and could be visited.  That would totally make your list, right Friends?  It might be way, way, way down the list -- I'm not saying it has to be top 10 or anything.

Well, it does exist and you can go visit it!  Turns out the World's Largest Kaleidoscope is about an hour drive from where I live.  How have I never visited? Such an oversight had to be rectified immediately. I had the day off, the weather was beautiful, and we are about to get pummeled by a blizzard.  Time to squeeze in an adventure before the snowflakes start to fall.

I set off with Google Maps as my trusty copilot.  It's true, Google Maps and I have had some issues in the past, but it was on its best behavior today.  I made it to my destination without any problems.

There it is -- World's Largest Kaleidoscope

I went inside and found the entrance in the Kaleidostore. Since I was the only person there I was going to get a private screening.  I got to choose from 4 different shows that they have.  I went with the newest one, Stardust.  Apparently it was made based loosely on Bill Nye the Science Guy.  Sounds cool to me.

We get to the room, and the guide explains that there are back and neck rests to use.  She said that since it was just me, what I really should do is lay on the floor with my head in the center. That's what she does when she watches it alone.  Your neck doesn't get sore from being at a weird angle, and since the speakers are built into the floor you can feel the music pulsing.

I'm game -- that sounds awesome!

So she shuts me in, the lights turn down, and I get situated on the floor.  I tried to get some video, but it really isn't quite the same as seeing it in person.

Imagine you are staring at this overhead

It was very relaxing, and a little trippy.  If you go and are alone or in a small group you definitely need to lay on the floor to watch.  The bass pumping through the speakers will you give a massage while you watch.  

My advice?

If you go you definitely need to make it a day trip and find some other things to do in the area.  Stay at the spa for the weekend, go hiking, find some things to do in Kingston or Woodstock.  The Kaleidoscope show is only about 5-10 minutes long. It is cool, and I'm glad I went and got to experience it, but the hour drive each way to only do that was kind of bummer.  Poor planning on my part.  Learn from my mistakes!

Still pretty





No comments:

Post a Comment