Sunday, February 5, 2017

Art Exhibit

Hey, Friends.

Remember a little while back when I asked for your help choosing pictures for a staff art exhibit?  (If you need a refresher, you can find it here -- and read all about how I might be a "depressing little snowflake" at the same time.  Consider it an extra bonus!) Well, the time has come and the opening reception for the show was this afternoon.

First of all, I'd like to thank everyone who took the time to give me opinions. Thanks, Friends! Some of you told me in person, some commented on Facebook, and a few people took the time to go through my Instagram account.  I really appreciate the help and the time that you took to do that for me.  💓

I only made a brief appearance at the opening reception.  I was working, but I also didn't really want a reception.  Try not to be horrified by that, I've already heard it. I'll try to explain.

You see, Friends, this is just a hobby for me.  I was forced cajoled coerced into participating by several people who told me my pictures were really good and I should do it.  So I did.  I'm not an artist, not in my own opinion.  This isn't my life's work, or years of struggle while doing something else and waiting to be discovered or get a big break.  It's a hobby and something I do for fun.  I feel like a giant fraud standing there talking about my photos.

So when it came to preparations for the display, we were asked to give the names of the pieces, and if we want to sell them we had to give a price.  I don't have names for mine, and having never done anything like this before I didn't want to come off sounding pretentious or ridiculous.  I told them to just use numbers. Literally, just go 1-5.  Nothing fancy here, kids.  As for price?  I honestly can't believe anybody would want to pay money for a print of my pictures, but if we have the option then...$20 each?  I have no idea if that is expensive or entirely too cheap. We'll see what happens.

They put up the announcement for the show on the library's website, and used one of my pictures. Not going to lie, that was pretty sweet.



So, without further ado, here is my little part of the display, and the pictures you helped me choose.


My display, which my coworkers hung for me as I was at work at the other branch of the library.


1.  Taken at Locust Grove.



2. Taken at Staatsburgh State Historic Site (Mills Mansion).



3. Taken in my back yard.


4. The garden at Locust Grove.


5. Taken on the front steps of Adriance Memorial Library on my way in to work one rainy Sunday.


I think we made some good choices, Friends.  Give yourselves a treat for your hard work, something nice.

It's also worth mentioning that my little plan of avoiding the reception by working backfired spectacularly.  One of my book club members went to see the exhibit, and then came down to find me at work and talk to me about my pictures.  She is involved in the local art scene, and I think she was expecting a lot more in-depth answers to her questions. 

Take picture 3, for example.  She was asking all about how I captured it.  I'm like, "It was sheer dumb luck.  I saw the lightning, and went and stood in my back yard to try and get a picture."

Then she was asking if I had done a lot of studying, did I read about different methods and lighting, had I done a lot of research?  Nope.  Literally just a hobby.  I wander around and take pictures of things that capture my interest.  It's me and my iPhone.  It takes better quality pictures than my old digital camera.

She summed it up by saying, "Still waters run deep."  I think that might have been a little too kind, but I'm taking it as a compliment.  I felt like our entire conversation was more me trying not to be completely awkward while explaining that I literally have zero process or training of any kind.  

And that's the story of my first art exhibit experience.  Thanks again for your help, Friends.  I truly mean that.  

**If you should feel so inspired to actually want to buy one of these, feel free to hit me up or contact the library. I'm not expecting any takers, so no offer is going to be refused.**



No comments:

Post a Comment