Thursday, January 4, 2018

Rest In Peace, Wiz

Hey, Friends.

Sad news to report today. My oldest cat, Wiz, passed away this afternoon. You might recall having seen a picture of her wearing her jaunty Easter chapeau at some point.

Easter Wiz

She was very mellow, and always down for wearing a costume, even if she didn't look terribly amused about it.

If you want to be technical about it, she was my brother's cat. She opted not to make the move to Texas with his family a few years ago. By that I mean she hid in their house in an unreachable place until three days after they had left, then she finally came out.

Wiz came to live with me when I bought my house about 7 years ago. She was here when I adopted Jazz-kitty, and she made it very clear that she was the one in charge. Most of the time Wiz ignored Jazzy, sometimes she would give Jazz-kitty a smack just for existing, but they would huddle together if something scary happened - like a loud noise, or anyone they considered "stranger danger" to be in the house. For the most part they got along just fine, like regular siblings.

Can't leave if you can't get to your suitcase

Wiz never was big on traveling, and she never wanted me to go anywhere either. She knew what the suitcase meant and would camp herself on top of it to try to deter me from leaving.


This is my rug.

One of her favorite things to do was to lay on her rug on the front porch. She got all the benefits of hearing and smelling the exciting things outdoors without actually having to go out there. Each autumn we had to go through a period of me trying to prove to her that it had indeed gotten cold out again. This meant having to open the door to the front porch several times each evening so Wiz could wander out there and determine that, "Oh, it's not warm out here any more. Guess I'll come back inside." It usually took a week or so for her to grudgingly accept that she would have to wait for spring and stop crying at the door constantly.

As I'm sure you are all aware, here in New York we are currently having a winter storm. I never thought I would say this, but I am so thankful for the shitty weather! Work closed early today, so I never had to go in. I got to be here at home with Wiz. I was able to be here with her, to cuddle her and tell her how much I loved her when she passed away. For that I am extremely grateful. She wasn't alone, and Jazz-kitty was nearby looking on.

Snuggling on the couch last night

Rest in Peace, my sweet Wiz. (2001-2018)






No comments:

Post a Comment