Sunday, October 22, 2017

Feeling Sheepish

Hey there, Friends.

How is your Sunday going? Good, good. I had a very nice day. I went to the New York Sheep and Wool Festival with my Mom.

Now, those of you who know me may be wondering, "What the hell were you doing at the Sheep and Wool Festival? You don't even knit!" This is very true. My Mom, on the other hand, knits and crochets like crazy. She can cruise through a pattern, watching television or talking to her friends, paying no attention to what her hands are doing. She's tried to teach me, but it didn't go well. I made a grand total of one holey, totally misshapen scarf. It took me forever. I gave it to my friend Ryan, and since I saw him wear it at least once I feel like I accomplished something. It was a feat that shall not be repeated. Once was more than enough for me to determine that it is not my thing.

So why was I there? I give advice on what colors look good for projects that my Mother wants to do, and to keep her from only buying the same colors for everything. I also excel at picking out yarn for her to make me things.

I also like to go and see the animals. I get to pet the sheep, llamas, and alpacas? I'm totally down. Everyone else is showing off their knitting skills, wearing some dazzling piece of work that they have made, oohing over all the yarn. I'm wandering around like, "Where can I pet a llama?" I like to look at all the pretty colors of the yarn, feel how soft it is -- it's interesting. I feel like a big faker the entire time because I have no idea about the difference in weights and thickness, but I can see the appeal if you actually have a clue about this stuff.

I took some pictures. Shocker, I know.


This seems to be absolutely true for everyone I know that knits.



Checking out the yarn



Skein of Thrones. 



They had yarn made from corn, soy bean fiber, and mint fiber. I didn't even think that was possible!



So many colors


Totally got called out while trying to get this picture. Owner of the stand asked me if I liked skulls. I said yes, which probably makes me seem like a weirdo, but it looked really cool next to the wool. She told me it was from one of her sheep that had died of old age. :(



Before we get to the next two, I should mention that I did not purposefully set out to find cool and/or creepy (depending on how you feel about them) things. I have a gift when it comes to finding them.



Can I interest anyone in a felt clown head? Made by Weston Hill Farm



Belphegor - can be worn as a mask, or as a centerpiece. 100% wool felted sculpture.  Also by Weston Hill Farm


No, we did not eat any of that. 



Because sometimes the animals just need a little cuddle



Totally got kisses from this one (That's my hand in the very bottom corner)



My new buddy. Loved to get petted on the head.



Looking for a way out? Just watching the world go by? Your guess is as good as mine.



Another new friend



Judging. Kept hoping one would fight the power and break loose.



Llamas! I found it amusing.


I thought it was a rather regal looking llama, just watching people come to visit.



Total player! Would run over like you were its new BFF, and upon determining that you had no food and nothing it desired? Drop you in a hot second and move on to the next person.


This concludes my version of a visit to the Sheep and Wool Festival. I'm sure people who actually know how to knit enjoyed it from a very different perspective. It was a beautiful day, I got to wander around and pet animals while spending time with my Mom. What's not to love?

And now you all know that you can get me to go pretty much anywhere if you promise that I'll get to pet a llama or sheep.

No comments:

Post a Comment