Tuesday, July 5, 2016

Summer Is Music Season

Hey, Friends.

What do you think of when you think of Summer?  Nice weather, spending time at the beach, barbeques...all good things, for sure.  I also think of Summer as being music season.

Every season is music season, really.  Summer always seems to have more opportunities to enjoy it: it seems like more bands are on tour (maybe because there is less chance of bad weather screwing things up?), and there are tons of free concerts in the local parks.  I love going to concerts.  I'll go see pretty much anything.

Okay, that's kind of a lie.  I would never choose to go to a country music concert. Sorry. It's not my thing. I've been to some with people who wanted to go, and they were okay, but it would never be my first choice.  Not that they aren't talented musicians in their own right, I just don't like it.  Personal preference, people.

Why am I rambling on about this?  Well, the free concerts in the park have started here, and that got me thinking about all of the awesome concerts I got to see last year, and the ones I am looking forward to going to this year.

Shall we recap, Friends?  Yes, we shall.  Feel free to quit reading right now if you don't give a shit.  I'll never know the difference.

2015 In Review

First of all, there were the free concerts in the local parks.  They are always enjoyable -- different types of music that you might not normally get to see, and local bands you may not have heard of before.  Everyone should go and check them out!  It's an enjoyable evening, and you can bring a picnic.  What more do you need?

The Greyhounds are always great

Last June the BFF and I embraced our inner teeny-bopper and went to KFest at Dutchess Stadium. There were a lot of great performers there: Charlie XCX, Robin Thicke, and Flo Rida just to name a few.  The band I was most excited to see? Walk the Moon.  And they were fantastic.

Not the best picture, I admit


And then in July, the madness really began.

First off was Heffron Drive at Webster Hall with my niece.  New Friends: this was a fucking event because we actually got to meet them.  I even wrote a blog post about it.

My niece with Kendall and Dustin.  So damn adorable! (And see the James Maslow Save the Music t-shirt she is wearing?  Totally refused to wash it after this so as not to wash off the "Kendall loving".)

I've said it before, and I'll keep saying it: if you haven't checked out Heffron Drive's music, you really need to do so. Seriously.  I'll make it easy for you -- their latest release is below.  Just watch it.




Next up was Taylor Swift at MetLife Stadium.  It was a surprise for my niece, and my BFF went -- on crutches -- and was a total trooper.  So many damn stairs.  (Yeah.  There's a blog post about that one, too.)

Shawn Mendes was first

Vance Joy

Haim

And Taylor Swift, of course.


And I'm throwing this view of the crowd in just because I love it.

Next up was Of Monsters and Men at the Beacon Theater.  Got the tickets from a coworker who couldn't go.  Sucked for him, but worked out great for me!



And rounding out the year and the summer of music was Speed of Sound Fest. There was a full day of great music.  The final act was The Avett Brothers, and they were wonderful.  I was super-excited to see them.

I tried, people.  Yes, it's my own crappy video work.


And that rounds out the 2015 review, Friends.  Wow!  That was a lot of great music.

2016 Is Going To Be Epic!

Not gonna lie, Friends, it is already off to a pretty fantastic start.  A friend and I went to Foxwoods to see PVRIS, AWOLNATION, and Fall Out Boy on Wintour.  



I think you can figure it out on your own

AWOLNATION

Fall Out Boy

More Fall Out Boy

And that pretty much brings us up to date.  There have been a few free concerts in the park so far. This is a short clip from the Bearcats performing at Vanderbilt Mansion.  This is one of my favorite songs ever, St. James Infirmary.


Again, video is my own

And then things get really exciting.  This summer is going to include....

-- Going to Speed of Sound Fest with my niece, nephew, and the BFF.  The Lumineers, people!  

-- Taking my niece to see Twenty One Pilots at MSG.  Not sure which one of us is more excited about that!

-- Heffron Drive at Webster Hall!  Sadly, sans niece this time.  Stupid Texas starting school so early.

-- And rounding it out (at least at this point): All Time Low and Blink-182 at SPAC.  Hell yeah!  

I'm a little excited, Friends.  This summer is going to rock!  I had to get it all out of my system before I exploded.  











No comments:

Post a Comment