Tuesday, January 19, 2016

At Least It Worked For a While

Hey, Friends.

So, I thought I had come up with a rather brilliant plan on how to deal with having to go to the grocery store.  The plan was to avoid it as much as possible by doing one big trip, and then only going when I absolutely had to get something.  Quick trips in, fast check-out, and less stuff to have to drag into the house and put away.  Simple.  Easy.  A Thing of Beauty.

It worked really well -- for about a month.  The majority of the time I really only had to go to get cat food.  Aside from being spoiled brats, Jazz-kitty and Wiz also turn into ravenous monsters as soon as it gets cold outside.  So they messed up the plan a bit, but I love them so it's okay.

I don't normally make a list when I go to the grocery store.  Please spare me the lecture on why it is always a good idea to make a list.  I'm pretty sure I've heard every variation at some point.  I just try to remember what I need when I am in the store.  It works pretty well, for the most part.

Today, I think I am going to have to make a list.  My brilliant plan of only getting what I needed immediately, coupled with my non-list-making habit, has finally hit the point of no return and come back to bite me in the ass.  Also, the first big snow storm of the winter is supposed to hit this weekend, so the place is going to be an insane asylum.  I don't know about where you live, Friends, but people around here freak the hell out and start acting like they are buying supplies for the apocalypse every time there is snow in the forecast.  (Just buy Pop-Tarts.  They are delicious hot or cold, so they will be edible whether you have power or not.)

Last night found me scrounging through the kitchen, searching for something that I could make for dinner.  It was a long search as I couldn't really settle on anything I wanted and that I had all the necessary ingredients to make.  It was also cold out, and I was not venturing out there again just to get one or two things.  Screw that.  I had to have something that would work.  I'll deal with the grocery situation later.

Soup, Friends.  I wound up with soup.  Campbell's Organic Chicken Noodle, for those dying of curiosity.  And bless the good people at Campbell's for making soup that requires nothing beyond heating and eating.

That's not to say that I didn't have any food in the house.  I had lots of parts of things, just not all the parts for any one particular thing.

Cereal?  No milk.  Well, I have coffee creamer if you want to get technical. Peppermint Mocha on granola, however, is not a taste experience that I want to have.

Salad?  Dressing yes, but  no salad.  Not even freaking carrots to dip in it.

Tomato sauce.  No pasta.  Nada.

During my unplanned kitchen inventory I realized I didn't have a lot of other things. Basic things. Things you need more than you realize.  Things you really need to make other things.  Yummy things.  Things that aren't soup.

And even then, even then, I seriously considered holding off on going to the store for another day or so.  Yeah, the stores would get crazier the closer it got to the potential snow storm, but how bad could it be?  I had more soup.  I could eat granola dry -- it's like trail mix, right?

Do you know what made me decide I was going to have to break down and do a big trip to the grocery store today?  The proverbial straw that broke the camel's back?

Coffee.  Coffee was my Achilles' heel, Friends.

I was out of coffee.  I had enough for this morning, but no more.

Lack of food beyond soup?  Pssh.  I can deal with that.  Lack of coffee?  Oh hell no.  Coffee is my happy place.  This should surprise no one.  People bribe me with coffee.  They give it to me as the most awesome gifts ever.  I've gone on coffee dates (although they haven't gone so well, but I don't blame the coffee for that.)  I wrote a love letter to my coffee pot when I was afraid it had died on me.

So I'm going to suck it up and make a big trip to the store because: coffee.

I even started to make a list, Friends.  Look at me, being a functional adult!  This is what I have so far.

I think that covers it.

No comments:

Post a Comment