Friday, November 7, 2014

Apparently I Am Beyond Saving

So, you may or may not remember that I have a particular religious group that likes to visit my house and attempt to "save" me on a fairly regular basis.

Tonight we had a very religious man -- you might say a zealot -- who was bent on trying to save my coworker.  Of the three of us working this evening, he picked the most religious of us to try and convert.  Apparently she was not Christian enough, or not the right kind of Christian.   He creeped her out, and she doesn't get creeped out easily.

He wanted to leave information for her, and then refused to give it to a coworker.  He wanted to wait to give it to her personally.  He did not get that opportunity, as Security got the pamphlet and asked him to leave.

I had seen them talking, but had no idea that he was being weird.  I walked right past him as I was headed out to the recycling.  He even held the door for me.

I got the whole story after he left, and I remarked that it was odd he chose my coworker to try to convert, as I usually was a very popular choice with people looking to "save" others.    Apparently he did make a remark about me, like I already belonged to the devil or some such nonsense.

I'm not really sure what to make of that.  On the one hand, I am totally okay if I have somehow managed to attain a vibe that says, "Don't even bother."  It's really just saving the "Savers" the hassle of trying to convert me to their particular brand of religion, and I don't have to pretend to be remotely interested.  On the other hand, I kind of wonder what it is that makes every uber-religious person think that I am the spawn of Satan.

I'm not anti-religion.  If you have found something that makes you happy, helps you find peace in life -- that's awesome!  Love it, celebrate it, enjoy.  I was raised Roman Catholic, although I don't go to church anymore.  That's my choice.  I have a problem with some of their views.  I'm not sure any one group has got it right.  I have a real problem believing that anyone's God would want people to kill in his/her name, for example.  I believe that if two people are lucky enough to fall in love it's a beautiful thing -- their gender or sexual orientation doesn't make a difference. I'm not a fan of people trying to push their religion onto others.  You do your thing, let everyone else do their thing.

Oh well.

If creepy guy shows up again I will just make sure he has to talk to me.  That ought to keep any interaction short, sweet, and to the point.

No comments:

Post a Comment