Sunday, April 16, 2017

Of Abandoned Buildings and Neil Gaiman

Hey, Friends.

Yesterday was a good day.  It started out with a nice walk with my friend (we'll call her Gertie to keep it nice and anonymous) and ended with an evening at the Fisher Center at Bard where we got to be the first people on the East Coast to see the first episode of American Gods, followed by a discussion with Neil Gaiman and Bryan Fuller.  Not too shabby, if I do say so myself.

I had to take some photos, of course.  I took a lot of photos, actually.  You see, when Gertie and I picked the location for our walk we decided on a park we hadn't been to in a while.  I somehow managed to totally forget that there was this awesome abandoned building full of graffiti there. Needless to say, once I saw it I had to go in and check it out.  Gertie chose to stay outside as she was afraid the building could be falling down, or the roof could collapse -- you know, little things like that. Probably a wise and sensible decision, but I chose to go on in.  I mean, it looked sturdy to me, and she'd be right outside to call 911 if it should fall on my head.


Looks like a nice, sturdy brick building, right?

Not creepy at all

We went around to the back to make our approach, as I remembered the back half of the building being pretty much wide open for easy access.


That should give you a pretty good feel for the building as I entered.


There were a couple other people inside who must have come in from the front of the building.  Not gonna lie, they startled me at first.  There was a bag in the corner that looked like it had some clothes and a mattress, so I was afraid it was going to be a pissed off person that was living there and wanted me out.  Nope.  Just two fellow explorers checking out the scene.

I happen to love graffiti and consider it to be art.  I know if you handed me a can of spray paint I could never pull off anything this good.  I had to take pictures.


This was my favorite



I don't know, but it looks happy



Flower



Stay classy


Fair question


"When it's something you live for".
I don't know if these are song lyrics or what, but there were random phrases throughout the building.


The corner of a larger area that said Peace


The wall next to it


Closer view of the artist's statement



Not at all creepy that there's a rope hanging from the ceiling over the one raised object on the entire floor.  (It wasn't a noose.  I checked.)


Pyramid and eye



A much less colorful corner


Cherish this moment


"If I could change my name I'd run away" -- can't read the last word

After I had my fun time playing in the abandoned building, we ventured back out on our walk.  It really is a beautiful area.  Things are just starting to look green and Spring-like.  It also makes it easier to notice things.  The last time we were here the leaves were all on the trees, everything was in full bloom.  Yesterday you could see much further off the beaten path.

I wouldn't advise eating the fish.  It is the Hudson River. To each their own.



Never knew that building was back there. 


There were a lot of fallen trees and damage that had occurred over the winter.


Little bit of greenery


Washed ashore


Some jackass felt the need to tag a tree.  Really doesn't surprise me that they wrote this either -- they clearly give as much of a shit about the environment as this administration.


Ruins of a building


Back along the water's edge

It really was a beautiful day to get outside and spend time in a park. That also means following the rules.  You are not supposed to be camping or setting fires in this particular park, and yet there were clearly people doing both of those things.  We could see the tents down by the water from a distance. More troubling, you could also smell the fire.  Now, I'm going to assume that they knew what they were doing and had made the fire safely and responsibly.  It is more than a bit disconcerting to be walking through the woods and suddenly smell fire -- especially when said woods are dry as hell and full of dead, fallen trees and last autumn's crunchy leaves.  It's like walking through a tinderbox.  It's stupid to do at all in an area that does not permit camping or fires, dumber to do it when it is an area full of incredibly flammable material, and idiotic to do it when you would be trapped between the Hudson River behind you and a fire in front of you with no escape. Don't be like these people.  Enjoy nature and follow the rules -- keep yourself and others safe!

Later that evening I went with friends to see Neil Gaiman and Bryan Fuller discuss the new Starz series American Gods at the Fisher Center for the Performing Arts at Bard.

It's a really cool building

They said we were the first people on the East Coast to get to see the first episode.  I'm a big fan of Neil Gaiman to begin with, so this was fantastic!  I can't wait to see the whole series when it starts airing later this month.  I'm not going to share any spoilers, but I did take a few pictures.  If you're just dying to know what it's about you can Google it, or read the book!

Neil Gaiman giving the introduction.  Yeah, we had good seats.


Discussion with Bryan Fuller

Up close and personal

So that was my Saturday, Friends.  Pretty damn good day.  I hope you had a great day as well. 

Happy Easter or Passover if you celebrate -- or just have a terrific Sunday if you don't.  

No comments:

Post a Comment