Sunday, March 16, 2014

March Madness? More Like March Confusion

Normally I pay zero attention to basketball, and I could care less about the whole March Madness thing.  This year, however, I have entered a pool and I need to pick brackets.  I have no idea how any of this works. 

I watched the match-ups get announced on CBS, hoping that would give me some clue as to what to do.  There is so much I do not understand about all of this!  For example, how is Syracuse in the "South" part of this?  There are North, South, East, and West sections -- shouldn't Syracuse be in the North?  Why are the teams not in the proper parts of the country?  

Whatever.  At least they have rankings on the side, and the record for wins and losses throughout the season.  Surely I could go by that, right?  No.  From what I have read so far it appears that the seeds are somewhat subjective?  "The defending champion Louisville Cardinals didn't get a No. 1 seed this time, and actually may be undervalued as a No. 4 seed in the Midwest."    What?  Okay, forget the seeds.  I can go by their win-loss record. I called my father, as my "go to" sports friend doesn't follow college sports and told me to flip a coin.  My father then explained that the win-loss could be misleading as well, as some teams may have played easier opponents to get to this point.  They weren't all playing each other all year long.

Forget it!  Forget it all.  I'm going to use my own method of choosing my teams for these brackets.

-- I'm definitely going to pick Delaware.  Why?  My coworker's daughter goes there.  That's my sole reason.  Statistics be damned.

-- I may choose some teams simply because I have heard of them before watching the CBS show tonight.  

-- A couple of the schools had cute little mascots.  That's all it takes, people!  I have no idea what I am doing and may chose based on how much I like the mascot.

--One of the teams has my nephew's name in it.  SF Austin, you're in.  I never heard of you or VCU before, so it really makes no difference to me.

I don't care about winning this thing, obviously. I'm only in it to support my friend's fundraiser. I'm probably not even going to watch any of the games.  A win for me should horrify the die-hard sports fans.

**Basketball fans:  No disrespect intended.  I admire your passion.  If it makes you feel better, I also had squares in Super Bowl pools, and I had no idea until about two weeks prior that Seattle even had a football team.**


No comments:

Post a Comment