Sunday, March 23, 2014

In Which I Continue to Watch the Marvel Movies In The Wrong Order

In case you are just joining us, I watched Thor for the first time last week.  I kind of latched onto Loki as my favorite character (don't know what that says about me).  I finished and had to watch The Dark World immediately afterward.  I was not happy with Loki falling off of Asgard at the end of the first movie.

I did not find out until after the fact that I needed to watch The Avengers as well.  I had been sucked into the whole Marvel Universe thanks to Loki.  I don't know that much about superheros -- don't watch most of the movies, haven't read the comics.  It's a whole new world to me.

Last night I decided to watch The Avengers -- or Part II of the Loki trilogy, as I considered it.  Joss Whedon is involved with this?  Awesome!  I loved Buffy the Vampire Slayer.  I knew who Thor and Loki were, obviously, so I wasn't going in completely clueless.  Oh look!  Iron Man is in this, too.  I've actually seen the first Iron Man movie because Robert Downey Jr. was in it.   Captain America! Holy cow, I remember watching a cartoon version of Captain America when I was little.  I remember the theme song and everything!

In re-runs, people.  I was not around in 1966.

The Hulk?  Totally know who he is as well!  This is going so much better than I had hoped.  I watched that on television too, when it was Bill Bixby and Lou Ferrigno.  


No clue on the rest of them.  Never heard of anyone named Hawkeye or Black Widow.  I have only heard of S.H.I.E.L.D. because of the commercials for the television series.

This should be good!  At least I wasn't completely clueless.

I realized immediately that I was going to have to go back now and watch Captain America starring Chris Evans.  Add that to my list of movies to catch up on.  Apparently he already knows what the Tesseract is, and he was a popsicle for many years.  I remember none of that from watching the cartoon series.

Ah, Loki.  You are still chockablock with issues: Daddy problems, Brother problems, power hungry, jealous, vindictive, hurt.  I love the complexity, your warped brain and world outlook.  You are so damaged. That being said, I have a problem with your plan right from the get-go.  Loki, my lamb, what are you doing cutting such a bad deal with these creepy-ass alien dudes?  I get that they gave you a cool scepter, and knowledge of the Tesseract.  However, for someone so smart and cunning who usually looks out for himself, I think your plan is a bit short-sighted.  You want to take over the Earth and be King, and piss off your brother, I get that.  I understand that you may need an army to take over the Earth, but you are going to give them the Tesseract in exchange?  Really?  That's the part I have a problem with.  You should really consider reneging on that part of the deal.  You might be King of the Earth, but you will still be their bitch when they have unlimited power.  Keep that Tesseract for yourself, honey.  I'm sure you can come up with a way to use it to take over the Earth without these other guys.

I absolutely loved this movie!  I watched it again directly after finishing, just to catch bits I missed the first time -- like Captain America giving Fury the $10.  I love that Loki just kind of kicked back and watched Thor and Iron Man beat the stuffing out of each other in the woods.  I probably would have been much more upset about Agent Coulson if I hadn't already watched The Dark World and spoiled that part for myself.  I feel like I am missing a lot of back-story with Hawkeye and the Black Widow.  

The writing was great as well.  There were some terrific lines in the movie.  A few of my favorites:

-- Hawkeye: "Doors open from both sides."  So deadpan, like everyone should have figured that out already.

--Stark: "Loki, he's a full-tilt diva." 

--Loki: "I don't threaten...You are but words" when talking to the creepy alien leader.  So perfect.

--Fury: "I recognize the Council has made a decision, but given that it's a stupid ass decision I've elected to ignore it."  Rock on, man!

I was left with one big question after watching the movie, and it is probably due to my lack of familiarity with the Marvel Universe:  Who the hell is The Council?  I get that Fury answers to them, but who are they?  Are they supposed to be world leaders?  

I have so many more movies I have to watch now.

No comments:

Post a Comment