Tuesday, January 8, 2013

In Which I Try to Sneak Up on Deer

True fact #1: Deer are not scared by a back porch light. They will still raid the bird feeder.

True fact #2: It is hard to sneak up on deer, even in your own back yard. I spent half an hour trying.

True fact #3: It is even harder to get a picture of said deer in the dark.

So once again, the Creepy-Deer-That-Stare-At-You-When-You-Try-And-Fail-To-Take-Their-Picture were back in the yard, raiding the bird feeder.  

This time, however, I was prepared...or so I thought.

As mentioned in my previous entry about the Creepy Deer, last night I decided to leave the back porch light on and see if they would still come and raid the bird feeder.   There were two reasons for this: to see if they would be too scared of the light to come into the yard, and if they did then maybe it would be light enough for me to get a picture.

They were not scared.  In fact, they brought friends!  Tonight it was a posse of four, although I only saw two at the feeder at any given time.

I tried, and failed, once again to take pictures of them from the back bedroom.  Even with the porch light on it was not light enough near the feeder to get a good picture.  My brilliant plan failed.  Using a flash once again yielded only craptastic pictures of my window screen.

I decided to be proactive and go to the deer, since the flash didn't seem to phase them at all.

I slowly opened the back door and crawled out onto the porch as quietly as possible.  I didn't want them to see or hear me and bolt.  

Carefully, I slowly opened the back porch door.  I figured I probably had one good chance at a photo with the flash before they ran.  That part I was right about.  Sadly, I still didn't get a decent picture.



This was my first attempt.  You can still see the snow in the air from when they took off running, and their little glowing eyes in the neighbor's back yard.  (Yes, I was shooting in black & white.  I was hoping the contrast would give me a better result.)




I tried to zoom in on them in the neighbor's yard.  I got 4 sets of glowing eyes.  This is how I know they brought a posse this time.


I did try walking across the yard to get a better picture of them in the neighbor's yard, but to no avail.  They took off running.




And this was the state of my bird feeder.  When I got home from work this evening it was still more than half full.  They emptied it again.

Tonight I will once again try to get a picture of the deer in action, emptying my bird feeder.  I need to come up with a better plan.  Perhaps if I leave a light out next to the bird feeder, making the whole area brighter, then I will have a better chance at getting a photo.

If you have any ideas, let me know!

2 comments:

  1. Undeniably believe that which you said. Your favorite justification
    seemed to be on the net the easiest thing to be aware of.
    I say to you, I certainly get annoyed while people think about worries that they just don't know about. You managed to hit the nail upon the top as well as defined out the whole thing without having side-effects , people can take a signal. Will probably be back to get more. Thanks

    Here is my webpage - coffee shops

    ReplyDelete
  2. interesting comment

    ReplyDelete